Friday, 13 February 2015

Free Botany Materials

The focus of this round-up is to collate as many free materials from around the web to aid the study of botany at the Montessori elementary level.


As with most of the work in Montessori we look at our studies in a broad view before examining aspects and concepts more closely. The botany materials consist of folders (pictures, labels and definitions), control books and wall charts and examples of the real thing where ever possible.

Some of these pintable's are aimed at the casa level but are easily adapted by creating your own definition cards and using the main pictures for creating booklets.

Montessori for Everyone has a lovely booklet available for free providing an overview of plants and the plant kingdom, it is called "All About Plants". You can find it HERE.

Amongst the items listed below you will find FOUR never shared before items from me (definition booklet for parts of the fruit, leaf shapes nomenclature and charts and flower nomenclature). I have other files in the works which I hope to share down the track.

You can find Plant Stories HERE.

Parts of the Plant (or Tree)

Tired Need Sleep has parts of a tree cards HERE.

We Live We Learn has a set for the parts of the plant (cards with definitions). You can find them HERE.

Roots
Parts of the root, followed by two types of roots.

Montessori Materials has parts of the root cards and booklet, as well as cards for subterranean stems. You can find them HERE.

Stems 
Position of the stem, parts of the stem, underground stems (rhizome, tuber, bulb, corm), aerial stems (erect, procumbent, climbing), erect stems (herbaceous, shrubby, woody).

For subterranean stems see the Montessori Materials link above. ^

Rogue Montessori has some examples of herbaceous stems and is working on shrubby and woody stems, which I am told are coming soon. The photobucket album is HERE.


*New* Parts of a Stem mute chart with printable labels HERE.



Leaf
Leaf and its parts, leaf veins, leaf blade (simple and compound).

Tired, Need Sleep has parts of the leaf cards HERE.


Montessori Soul also has parts of the leaf cards available HERE. Jo also has some types of leaves (plants) cards found in the UK - use the same link.

My leaf nomenclature cards are almost done - I will share them once they are ready.

Leaf Blades
Leaf blades in more detail.

Sharing here for the first time I have leaf blade shape nomenclature cards and control chart.

Nomenclature Cards:


Control Charts - mute and labelled:



I hope to work on some material for looking at pinnate leaves, palmate leaves, types of margins and phyllotaxis in the coming months.

Flower
The flower and its parts.

Tired Need Sleep has flower nomenclature cards available HERE. She also has some flower cards which could be handy for sorting work, they are HERE.

For the first time I am sharing my flower nomenclature cards. Definition booklet is still in the works but I finished of these cards just for this post. You can find the file HERE.



Fruit
Types of fruits, parts of the fruit

Montessori Soul has parts of the fruit nomenclature HERE.

I have previously shared my parts of the fruit (pear) cards with definition cards HERE.

Today I am going to share something NEW - a definition booklet to print that accompanies my parts of the fruit cards.

You can find the file HERE. It is also available with yellow borders HERE.



Seeds
The parts of the seed and types (monocot and dicot).

Walk Beside Me has parts of the seed cards HERE.

Of course The Helpful Garden has a comprehensive package that includes: plant, tree, root, stem, leaf, flower, fruit and seed. You can find it HERE. There are no definition cards as these are aimed at the casa level.

First Classification of Plants
A little while ago I shared some of my materials for this work, you can see it HERE. I shared a simple version of the plant kingdom chart and some ideas for creating your own.


I also shared a file for making free-form title cards for assisting with sorting work. You can find them HERE.


Rogue Montessori has some great three part cards that will work perfectly with these which are on photobucket. There are seven images in the series, covering each of the plant types. Her album is HERE



Impressionistic Charts
I have not found any free copies of the botany impressionistic charts, nor would I expect to. Teachers put a lot of effort into creating their charts. A Google image search will bring up some examples. There are 19 charts which raise the child's awareness of the cosmic tasks of plants and the universe.

Chinese Boxes
These are one way of further synthesizing the taxonomy of plants. I have not seen any free versions of this materials but it is fairly easy to DIY. There is an image on my Pinterest board you can view as an example.

Montessori for Everyone has some new materials available for free with instructions on how to make your own version of Chinese boxes HERE.



Further resources
Montessori Commons has an outline of the basic lessons for 6-9 botany HERE.

For more ideas and extensions you can follow my Pinterest board. If you discover something new to share please email me, comment below or send a message via Pinterest. I will continue to share and update this page.

Follow Elementary's board Botany Round-up on Pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you shared my work here for others to find. Thank you for your contributions - so helpful as we begin our homeschool journey. And thank you for our chart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING this post! Thank you so much! There are so many resources here I can't wait to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful - hope you find good use for it all. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete